Wednesday, February 24, 2010

After one week

Hello again!

I can't believe that it's only been a week since I got here, I feel like it's already been so much longer than that! I'm really enjoying Cusco, and the more time I spend here the more excited I get to do the different things they have to offer. I'm thinking about going to the jungle at some point to volunteer for a week, for essentially the same price as I'm paying now I get to trail blaze through bamboo with a machete, hang out with a monkey and shower in a waterfall (And don't worry dad I'll take my malaria pills before I go...). It sounds a little too convenient and exciting to pass up.

The people in my house are all really nice and cool, haven't necessarily made any best friends but I've definitely found some great people to hang out with. My first Friday here I went bar/club hopping and dancing with a 6 of the other volunteers in Plaza de Armas, the more touristy area here (we danced to a combination of Latin hip hop, salsa music, and hits from the US - made for a good time). They have "happy hour" (10-12am) drink specials, 2 drinks (like Pisco Sours, Mojitos, Cuba Libres) for 15-20 soles, which is about $6-8. Not bad. And luckily a lot of the people I live with are interested in going out and being social, but partying is not their first priority, so it seems like there is a good balance. Sunday day I went to a fundraiser put on by a bar and hostel in San Blas, another historic section of town that has cobblestone roads and small white shops, very quaint and cute. A local reggae band played and there was barbeque, vegetarian food and drinks, and the proceeds went to the flood victims in the area surrounding Cusco. It started raining after only 2 hours unfortunately, but I was able to meet a few cool locals and travelers staying in the area, gives me hope for making connections for traveling beyond Peru!

I've been getting a ton of exercise while here, I walk at least 40 minutes every day to Spanish class and sometimes up to an hour more than that to and from the orphanage I'm working at (2 hours today, another volunteer and I went exploring. I'm sore.). I found a yoga class I'm hoping to go to more often (my yoga instructor also happened to be at the party on Sunday), and on Sunday morning I hiked up a mountain on the outskirts of the city to the White Christ, a large statue of Jesus overlooking the city. The hike itself took less than 30 min, but it required walking 50 min across the city to get there. Pictures to follow soon. Saturday Maximo Nivel (the center through which I'm volunteering) also offers free salsa lessons, I went this weekend and only lasted a little over an hour before I got too tired! But I'm definitely going to go again soon, as I was forced to salsa dance by some friends on Monday night at a random bar and believe me, I was awkward. The lessons might be necessary in order to save face.

The food continues to be quite yummy and I've managed to avoid any sickness besides the usual acclimating to the altitude. Which is lucky as pretty much everyone in my house is sick. Out of the 17 people here people have had the shits (to be expected), some have been throwing up, we had one case of strep, a few sinus infections, a parasite, one case of undiagnosed bronchitis that turned into pneumonia (he is just getting out of the hospital today after a four day stay), and a combined case of ecoli and salmonella (after a day and a half in the hospital she ended up leaving for home a few days early :/ She was okay but just felt like recuperating at home in the US). Needless to say I've been incredibly careful about what I'm eating (essentially only what they offer me at the house, definitely no street food), and I've made an effort to get lots of rest and be healthy. I've been getting upwards of 8 hours of sleep a night, and actually waking up before my alarm, which might be a first? Um...please don't mention that sickness stuff to Grammy. And dad, please also disregard the last paragraph.

I'm still working at the same orphanage as before, as I've become less shy with my Spanish I've been talking to the girls a lot more and I've started to get more attached to them. I still feel like I'm not exactly needed there (they're going on a field trip tomorrow and I'm not invited - one would think they would need additional supervision taking 45 girls out of the city!), so maybe when I finish up my Spanish lessons next week I'll work on the construction project in the morning in addition to my current placement. Or maybe I'll just switch up altogether. We'll see.

Anywho, once again a short novel. Love to all and I miss you, keep me updated on life at home!

-tNaZ

1 comment:

  1. sounds good and like there are options all ready. and it sounds like the city is relatively modern?
    we want a care package: for suchi a pisco sour (which she has been talking about since high school) and i'll take some of that ecoli.

    ReplyDelete